As we emerge from beneath the shadow of COVID-19 and return to the workplace our thoughts begin to embrace the uncertainties that confront us. More especially, how best to quickly restart our organisations in an environment where the rules are yet undefined, but likely to be very different than before. What this pandemic has taught us is that we need to configure our organisations differently. They need to be much more agile, yet inherently more robust. And, we need to accelerate our restart process to claim first-mover advantage in a marketplace that will very likely be much smaller, more selective, more aggressive, and very much more competitive than before. All this speaks of an organisational model that has an inherently flatter structure, distributed leadership, wider spans of individual control, devolved authorities and accountabilities, higher levels of visibility and rapid decision-making capabilities. Intuitively, this means the business can be continually tuned to operate at maximum effectiveness as a closely knit entity without the historical stove-pipe behaviours, tribes and process encumbrances that have existed before. It also requires a closely aligned, properly integrated technology infrastructure to help support, enable and drive it. Welcome to digital acceleration!
Our own pre-COVID 19 market surveys tell us that 85% of companies polled agree that digital will change their operating model in the next three years. Of those, 50% agree they lack the necessary leadership, vison, experience, internal competencies and capabilities to create a viable digital strategy. And 40% of those who believe they could create a working strategy readily acknowledge that they are incapable of successfully executing a digital transformation without expert outside assistance to shore up their skill gaps. History has proven that 60% of all internally run, staffed and executed business transformation programmes fail within their first six months; or substantially fail to deliver on their original promises by the point disappointed and disgruntled executives grudgingly call time on them. And of those that do succeed, in some way or other, or at least manage to stagger across the finishing line, they end up costing the business six-times what it would have originally cost to employ professional change agents to help create the strategy that reflects the “art of the possible” and support the subsequent implementation through to its conclusion. Add to this picture the additional internal and external complications brought about by the pandemic, evidence would suggest attempting to restart your business at speed to maximise competitive advantage may not be a journey you should consider taking without a cadre of external experts by your side to provide insights, assistance and guidance where necessary.
So, accepting you must face the digital agenda or lose out in the market place within the next three years, how do you rapidly accelerate out of the pandemic and propel your return to competitiveness with any guarantee you will be successful?
“When digital transformation is done right, it is like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly. But, when it is done wrong, all you have is a really fast caterpillar.”
- George Westerman
Here at Centigo, we have 300+ consultants who are highly qualified, well trained and deeply experienced across a wide range of industries that can be deployed rapidly to help you put your business back to work in a safe, structured and compliant manner. Members of our team have successfully helped many businesses, large and small, through this kind of transformation process before and can bring to the table well tried and tested approaches and instantly deployable tools and techniques that can be tailored to meet your specific needs. We can help: -
- You to understand the implications of digital transformation for your business
- Create an appropriate digital strategy to accelerate your return to competitiveness
- Validate and verify your digital strategy for precise fit, form, and function to guarantee it meets your exact current and forecast future business needs
- Benchmark and determine your current state of readiness for transformation
- Determine through simulation, testing, and selecting from amongst a range of potential future state digital business scenarios the correct solution to meet your business needs
- For the future state scenario you select, through a deep-dive process, envision, create and bring it to life by further more detailed modelling, simulation and financial projections and create an executive level business case for board approval and a compelling case for change for all stakeholders
- Create an overarching time, cost and benefits-based transition plan to deliver your new digital business
- Support you on your transformation journey with an array of internationally respected experts who will in a timely and efficient manner deliver into your transformation world-class strategy, people, process and technology thinking, skills and capabilities
- Work with you throughout and after digital transformation to ensure you reach a stable running position, maintain operating efficiency and agility and continue to upskill all your staff and empower them to run your new digital business
Getting back to work will need the application of different skills and expertise depending on your market sector. Businesses reach out to and rely upon Centigo every day when they realise their changed circumstances now dictate informed, experienced and authoritative thinking is required. To find out how Centigo can help you successfully return to competitiveness quickly and safely please feel free to contact us.
This is the final article in a series of five. Read our other articles here: